With CBC, a learner’s academic performance is measured over time, as they continue learning. There are two types of assessments;
- Kenya Primary School Education Assessment (KPSEA) done in Grade 6 counts for 40% of the total grade.
- School-Based Assessment which takes up 60% of the total grade Assessments are quantified by Expectation Level, under 4 levels:
- Exceeding Expectations (EE) where the learner correctly performs or completes all activities as expected in each learning area.
- Meeting Expectations (ME) where the learner correctly follows instructions; they properly perform tasks and complete most activities in each learning area.
- Approaching Expectations (AE) where the learner attempts to follow instructions but is inconsistent with completing tasks or activities in the different learning areas.
- Below Expectation (BE) where a learner is observed to have major inaccuracies or inability to complete tasks as instructed by the teacher